Senior Full Stack Developer | May 2012 - Present
- Building custom themes and plugins for client WordPress sites.
- WordPress REST API Integrations - many projects are SPA frontend, wp rest-api backend.
- Deploying and migrating sites to AWS, Kinsta, WPEngine and commodity hosting providers.
- Building internal tools to streamline production tasks (cmd-line and web).
- Direct client interaction: requirements collection, sprint planning, project management.
- Mentoring junior developers.
- Built combo PHP/Docker tool to run a mix of websites for local dev.
- Architected and implemented the WP CMS and Node API with SSR and Multiple caching layers for AmericasHealthRankings
, replaced WP's editor with DraftJS (React); wrote server-side PDF and image microservice renderers with PhantomJS.
- Architected and built SPA for parts manufacturer using SOLR backend, integrated with WordPress. craftechind.com
- AWS Lambda ServerLess services
- Built and maintained mobile apps for iOS / Android stores.
- API integrations (Google, payment processors, CRM systems, et al.)
- Implemented two Arabic-English multilingual sites.
- Multiple sites with ElasticSearch behind WordPress, some of which had customized schema and querying from Node app
- Extensive data migration tasks.
Freelance - CT/NY
Consulting & Product Development | Circa 10 yrs
- Consulting for database-driven web sites and data automation, developing products under own brand, hacking things of interest.
- Built three native iOS apps, one for client (ThisIBelieve.org), other two self-published.
- Built and sold commercially and through VARs, a line of FileMaker Pro (FMP) plugins for Mac/Windows (FMP is cross-platform database application). To avoid maintaining separate code bases and figuring out Windows frameworks, created proprietary bridge from FMP's plugin API to a pure Java plugin framework ("JavaCompanion"). Required working with Java Native Interface (JNI) to bootstrap a VM inside FileMaker's context.
- Developed and sold FileMaker Pro plugin for online payment processing; supported over 22 U.S. and Foreign payment gateways, providing a single homogenized API to FileMaker database developers.
- Developed and sold FMP plugin for SMTP/POP3/IMAP.
- Conceived and built PageFactory, possibly the first Web Operating System for multi-user, multi-site online web page creation (precursor to today's CMS; lacked the important concept of design templates). All content and media stored in SQL databases. Installed at Oklahoma State U. to allow students and faculty to create their own home pages or websites. Featured in InfoWorld 100. Eventual startup formed around it, then died.
- Handled Customer service and support for my products.
- Led small team (remotely) for a year+ at startup in Idaho Falls building SAAS for "easy" business website publishing.
Mac Software Development
| 2 yrs
- Mac OS Desktop programming in support of broadcast services.
FAW-Ulm - Munich, Germany
| 2 yrs during/after University
Research institute for Applied Knowledge Processing.
- Sundry infrastructure development tasks
- Desktop-integrated telephony: IBM Mini Assembly coding to provide bridge between Desktop computers to Siemens Hicom PBX.